Department: Development, FTE
Reports to: Development Director
Free Speech TV (FSTV) is a national, nonprofit, independent news network whose mission is to empower an informed and active citizenry to build a more just, equitable world. Decidedly mission-driven and goal-oriented, FSTV’s staff, board, volunteers and donors are passionate and committed to advancing progressive social change. These are exciting and challenging times for independent media. Operating in its 22nd year, Free Speech TV is fiercely committed to reporting news ignored or even censored by commercial networks. Our array of programs provides viewers with unfiltered news and analysis, amplifies underrepresented voices, and promotes those working on the front lines of social, economic and environmental justice.
Based in Denver, Free Speech TV (FSTV) is seeking an enthusiastic fundraiser who is a detail-oriented, strategic thinker to join our team as a Leadership Giving Officer.
The Leadership Giving Officer will work closely with the Development Director, Executive Director, Chief of Staff and General Manager, to develop, implement and execute a major gift strategy for the organization. Through “heart-centered giving”, the LGO will cultivate relationships, research and qualify new prospects, and manage a portfolio of donors and prospects to maximize financial support. Additionally, the LGO will explore and maximize giving opportunities such as planned giving, events or special campaigns.
Cultivation and Stewardship
- Develop a comprehensive cultivation and solicitation strategy for major giving that is sustainable and scalable.
- Manage a portfolio of prospective major donors (individuals giving $10,000 or more within one fiscal year), and solicit (directly or through senior team) them for major gifts
- Qualify prospective donors to ensure a healthy “pipeline” of major donors.
- Customize cultivation strategy for each donor/prospect in the portfolio and execute that strategy so that individual donors are retained and upgraded.
- Create highly personalized proposals that align with donor interests and programmatic priorities. Work with the appropriate staff to secure various campaign or initiative information and use this information to develop materials directed at individual donors/prospects.
- Track portfolio activity and progress at the lead, prospect and qualified prospect levels. Also create a database of connectors to high net worth individuals.
- Create reports as required by management that accurately reflect portfolio activity and performance.
- Maintain current working knowledge of national and local politics and progressive issues as they occur.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Set appointments for Development Director, Executive Director, Chief of Staff, General Manager, and FSTV Board Members with major gift donors or prospects.
- Track conversations, activity and progress. Create reports as required by management that accurately reflect portfolio activity and performance.
- Provide support to directors in preparation for solicitation or stewardship opportunities, including appropriate, concise briefing materials in advance of meetings with donors and prospects.
- Prepare comprehensive proposals of major gift solicitations.
- Minimum of five years of experience in nonprofit fundraising, with progressive responsibility and a proven track record of soliciting, closing, and stewarding major gifts of $1,000 or more. Experience soliciting planned gifts is also preferred.
- Experience with donor database management and systems to track campaigns and ensure complete, secure and private donor and campaign records.
- Proficiency with office technology and information systems (including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and a donor database (such as Salesforce, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and respectfully on the phone, via email/text and in person with donors, board members, volunteers, staff, and the public.
- Persuasiveness and perseverance in attaining goals.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and to meet deadlines. Ability to develop long-term plans, set objectives, and track progress towards achieving objectives. Familiarity with moves management preferred.
- Ability to work independently and to exercise good judgment in stressful circumstances. Flexibility and a willingness to take on new tasks as the responsibilities of the position evolve.
- Personal initiative and a sense of humor. Friendly, outgoing, and collaborative approach, and a strong team-oriented style.
- Must be available for travel in Colorado as well as out-of-state travel.
- Ability to work occasionally beyond the traditional workday and work week.
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of FSTV’s mission and principles.
- Familiarity with the progressive philanthropic community.
- Geographic flexibility is possible, but Denver, CO location is preferred.
Salary Range: $70-80K per year
Benefits: FSTV offers a generous benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance as well as other benefits.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Free Speech TV is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering a diverse workplace.